Welcome!

Hi everyone! My name is Brian. For those who don't know me very well, I am the type of person that when I have an idea, I like to take it to extremes. So after very little debate, I decided to try my hand at raising a few Pheasants in my yard. Mainly for conservation reasons, but also because I thought it would be fun. So with that simple idea, I ran with it a little, and figured that if I'm already going to be rasing pheasants, then whats the difference if I raise some chickens and plant a garden. This blog is going to be a continuing documentation of my back yard farming adventure! Hope you like it, and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Composter

After all was said and done with the idea of starting a farm, I needed to figure out a way to supply self with fresh, organic, and cheap soil and get rid of the chicken litter. Rather than spend $15 on a bag of topsoil, I looked into starting a compost pile. The problem with the compost pile, is that A: Once it's built, it can't be moved, and B: it's unattractive to look at. I started looking into ways to get a portable 55gal composter. Home depot sold them for $80 and it looked cheap. So after a few simple design thought, I came up with a way to build my own for free. I can send the exact dimensions or where to obtain the stuff from if anyone is interested.
I started with a 55gal blue plastic barrel that I obtained from a local bakery shop.
I spray painted it black to absorb the sunlight.

The frame is made up of old wooden pallets I found behind some stores, as well as an old 2X4X8 that I found. The center pivot is a 1" round PVC pipe.




















I cut a square hole in the top and fastened some 1X3 around the edges so the lid would sit on it nicely. The lid is attached by 2 door hinges and a clasp. 

My truck on a scavenging excursion. You never know what you may find. My cost... $4.00 spray paint

No comments:

Post a Comment